Crested caracara on Flickr.
Give over, it’s giveaway time!
To celebrate Easter, and hitting 713 followers, and being given an additional Corrie Easter Egg - I’m giving it away to one of you cool folk.
What you should know:
- There is nothing remarkable about this egg. It is one egg, wrapped in foil. That’s it.
- It does however come in a pretty cool box with pictures of characters old and new, and facts about the show that will astonish you.*
- The ‘old English nuts’ mentioned on the box do not appear to be in the box. If you are particularly attached to nuts, you will be disappointed.
- It is officially licensed by Grenada Studios so you needn’t worry about being sued for eating it.
To go in the draw:
- Reblog this post. Liking it is lovely, but I’m going to need you to take that extra step if you want to win this bad boy.
- Make sure you reblog on or before 31 April. I’ll draw a winner after that date using a crude Excel algorithm.
Love and cobbles,
*astonishment not guaranteed.
our animal vendor at work is so sketch, and I do not agree with it/them so I’m actually kind of relieved that i’m leaving. You guys need a new vendor and you need to do something about it.
Unfortunately, so, so many animal vendors for the pet trade are sketch. I’d say most of them are. I have spent my life dealing with wholesalers, both in my hobby and in my (pet store and non pet store) work, and it never really gets better.
BUT NOW? I KNOW DIFFERENT. Look what arrived in the mail ANONYMOUSLY.
This is no fake. This is a real book that someone spent some amount of real money to have sent to me from Amazon, no note included.
YOU SEE, RYAN? YOU SEE WHAT YOU HAVE WROUGHT???
This book — which, I must repeat for emphasis, is a real thing, like someone had the idea for it (ha ha!) but then didn’t realize that the idea is the entire joke but instead somehow decided they would take on the actual human calorie-burning task of writing 126 pages of — really gives you a smoke-the-whole-pack quantity of what is indisputably people’s favorite parts of LOLcats: the nigh-nonsensical text!
And it’s not just Bible stories. It’s The Bible. It’s abridged to include just the most famous bits (Adam & Eve, Noah, Joseph & his brothers, King David, parts of the Gospels and Acts, and as seen above, Daniel in the lion’s den), but those parts are reproduced VERSE BY VERSE so you do indeed have to slog through “So Daniel liev long an prospar frum Darius to teh othur King, Cyrus, hoo wus a Persian kitteh.”
This is a concept book. This is a book that people give to one another as a joke, but nobody reads. The corporate buyer for the bookstore didn’t read it. The person buying it for a friend’s birthday didn’t read it. The friend who got it as a gift didn’t read it. I’ll bet the typesetter only read as little of it as she could get away with.
It was regifted a dozen times and every single one of those people did what I did and/or will do, which is:
- realize what it was
- instantly get all the enjoyment out of that concept that one will ever get
- flip through it
- realize that it goes ON AND ON AND ON
- see that this is a glimpse into a madness best avoided
- quietly close it and put it on a shelf
- give it to another unsuspecting friend so it’s out of one’s own life
Wait, what’s that? Sorry…just a second…
You say that the author/war criminal of this book, Martin Grondin, set up a wiki site in 2007 to translate the Bible into LOLcat, and that the book actually came along later, printing what had already been written?
Well, then I say that this publisher will probably LOVE my new project, “View Source” (working title), which takes popular websites and just reprints the raw HTML from their homepage. The work’s already done!!!
Confidential to whoever sent this to me: if I ever find out who you are, rest assured we will be enemies forever
These “we got the general public to generate content for this site for free and now we’re selling it and paying them precisely $0” volumes are usually in the discount section of your local bookstore’s humour section and are great to flip through if you want to feel the emotion known as “despair for humanity”
THAT’S RIGHT I SAID IT
American alligator on Flickr.
Emu spa on Flickr.
- Pseudo-intellectual white dude who prefers to imagine that he’s more enlightened than feminists and also is uncomfortable with the thought that he’s part of the problem and also has a incorrect conception of feminism. (via brighterthanroses)
Don’t forget Equalist
I ran into this with a (former?) friend this week. He’s living with a couple females who feel this way, and it’s really changed his outlook on things, which I find disturbing.
Does anyone have any insight on why women would bash what they consider to be feminism? I don’t really get it.
Now think of how many of those female characters and protagonists are oversexed, created for the male gaze, or put in an inactive damsel role for the plot of the game. Representation matters. A Study last year proved that exposure to tv shows increased the self esteem of young white boys and markedly decreased the confidence and self esteem of girls across the board (and we haven’t even started on the representation of characters of color and the effect it has on children’s self perception).
Video games are a different media, and even more concerning if representation metrics are changing how our kids think of themselves. Especially knowing that 67% of American Households have video game consoles and 91% of Children play video games regularly,how do you think the portrayal (and lack of portrayals) of women and girls in these games is affecting little girls – or influencing how little boys view their importance and/or influence over them?
— Comics. Movies. Lit. Pop Culture. The Smash Survey is an upcoming podcast project that will critically explore the representation of race, gender, and queer identity in media and pop culture in a fun and engaging format.
Cassowary on Flickr.